Sunday, December 18, 2005

Gay, Bi, Straight - Does It Matter?

One of the movies that I am looking forward to watching is the much-acclaimed "Brokeback Mountain". Not because of the supposed sex scenes nor the fact that two really cute guys are the main actors, but because it is "different" to the run-of-the-mill movies that have been coming out of Hollywood over the last few years.

Sure, there have been some exceptions like "Saw" and "Lord of the Rings", but generally once you have seen one, the others seem to be a different version of the same thing.

What has me excited about "Brokeback Mountain" is the fact that two "straight" guys discover that love is not necessarily bound by the
male/female relationship stereotype. Love can and does transcend genders because us humans are by nature, bisexual in orientation - not straight nor gay. In pre-Christian Europe and in the current non-Jewish/Christian/Islamic countries, bisexuality was and is generally the norm and/or acceptable. [You may wonder why I clustered Jews, Christians and Muslims into one category, and that is because each has developed from the other, carrying on some of the "beliefs" of its predecessor.]

Which brings me to the issue of bisexuality versus being
Gay or Straight. Does it really matter in the scheme of things, who one actually sleeps with? Does it really matter if an actor [or actress] is gay or bisexual? Why does it need to be a "secret" from the main public? Throughout cinematic history, many leading actors and actresses have been gay or bisexual in real life, whereas the Hollywood PR people actively portrayed them as being straight.

Some examples include James Dean, Tab Hunter, Liberace and more. Actors and singers nowadays play up on the ambiguity of their sexuality, and a good example is the former Take That member Robbie Williams. He has been always playing up on his sexuality, dropping comments and hints that he is gay, yet taking the newspapers to courts when one of them publicise it too much.


What are they afraid of? Do they believe that by being honest about their sexuality - whichever on
e it is - that they will lose public support, and thus lose out on lucrative recording or movie contracts?

Take Jake Gyllenhaal who stars in "Brokeback Mountain". He is one stunning guy and can honestly say that many of the guys I know, would love to take him to bed - even if for only one night [including yours truly].

But he has denied being bisexual, yet when questioned, he has stated the following:

"You know it’s flattering when there’s a rumor that says I’m bisexual,” the
actor — who stars in “Brokeback Mountain,” which some are calling the gay cowboy movie — tells the December issue of Details. “It means I can play more kinds of roles. I’m open to whatever people want to call me. I’ve never really been attracted to men sexually, but I don’t think I would be afraid of it if it happened.”

[http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916519] 21/11/2005

Now, you will notice that he doesn't deny he is bisexual but he also doesn't confirm he is straight either! What is of interest in his last comments, which are "... never really been attracted to men sexually, but I don't think I would be afraid of it if it happened". What does he mean "never REALLY been attracted"? And why does he think he wouldn't be afraid if it happened?

Is he saying that he has been attracted to guys but not to the point of taking them to bed? But if the right one came along, he would? If he is straight, why not simply come out and say "I am straight"? Why do the "Robbie Williams" game playing?

To be honest, I really don't care whether he [or anyone] is gay, straight or bisexual as long as they are honest about it. And that, to me, is the crux of the issue - why not be honest?

It won't change my mind about seeing the movie because his sexuality is irrelevant to me seeing it. I will enjoy the movie for the sheer purpose of it being a different kind of movie from Hollywood. The fact that I will also sit there wondering if he is gay, straight or bisexual will only be a side issue :-)

James



Powered by FeedBlitz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home