Saturday, December 10, 2005

Pack Your Bags and Let's Go

A couple of months ago I decided to organise my travel plans for 2006. With pen, paper, a hot cuppa coffee and my nicoteine sticks, I worked out where and when I would go for my holidays in the coming twelve months.

Having been to Europe three times in my life, I decided 2006 would the Year of Australia and go to the cities I have never been before. So Sydney was automatically ruled out as I graced that fair city twice this year. Canberra was left on the list as a "passing through" location mainly to visit family and friends who live there, even though I have been to our nation's capital twice this year already. My itinerary was February on the Gold Coast, May in Perth, August in Melbourne and Christmas 2006 in New Zealand [ok, not part of Australia but it might as well be]. A week away every three months to refresh and recharge these batteries of mine.

Like all good plans something always crops up which throws a spanner in the works! Not in a bad way, but a spanner anyways. In the last week I have had to re-organise my February trip to now include not only an overnighter in Canberra and four days on the Gold Coast, but also a return stay in Canberra for 3 days before flying down to Tasmania for a four day visit, before finally returning home. My 7 day holiday is turning into a 2 week three-state jaunt! Not that I am complaining by no stretch of the imagination.

What I am though is the total cost of the 2 week holiday. I never really realised how expensive seeing Australia is. By the time I include the airfares [to Canberra, Gold Coast, back to Canberra, Launceston and then home], add in the accommodation and car hire costs [Gold Coast and Launceston], plus spending money, the entire trip is coming to nearly $4,000!

Yep. A sweet $4,000 for economy airfares, 3 star accommodation and a basic 4 cylinder car!

Out of curiosity, I also checked out how much it would cost to go to Greece for 2 weeks, where I also have family. Taking international airfares, accommodation, car hire and spending money, the cost came to $3,500. That's $500 less than seeing my own country! It was even cheaper going to New Zealand for 2 weeks. Total cost there came in at $2,500! No wonder so many Australians prefer to go overseas for their holidays.

I was so tempted to say "stuff it! It's either Greece or New Zealand for 2 weeks". Oh I was so tempted, but I am going to stick to my original plans. 2006 is the Year of Australia, even if it sends me broke! In a worse case scenario, I could always take the advise of a friend of mine and sell my "hot butt" on some corner street :-) Then again, maybe not.

But I am packing my bags come February and seeing this country of ours, even if it is with a dent in the bank balance.



Powered by FeedBlitz

4 Comments:

At Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:24:00 pm, Blogger Omni said...

I hope you'll have a wonderful trip!! :-)

 
At Saturday, December 10, 2005 11:32:00 pm, Blogger Louis Casinelli said...

when you coming to smerica?

 
At Saturday, December 10, 2005 11:33:00 pm, Blogger Louis Casinelli said...

america even

 
At Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:26:00 am, Blogger James Bailey said...

Hmmm .. no plans as yet Poz. I do want to go to South America, Mexico and Egypt at some stage. Real history buff here :-) But will get to the US at some stage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home