Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Good Deed

Are you superstitious? Do you believe that whatever you do on New Year's Day, will set the pattern for the rest of the year? My parents always told me to "be a good boy" on New Year's Day, not to argue or fight, otherwise I would not have a nice 12 months.

I am not superstitious, not in the slightest. Yet 3 days into the new year, and I am beginning to wonder.

My New Year's Day was a good one, a very relaxing day and enjoyable. With dad, brother, sister in law and my two nieces over for lunch, followed by a number of visitors during the day. What was unusual was the fact that instead of following my usual New Years Day of not spending money, I went to the local service station for cigarettes, and came back with a large bag full of lollies, biscuits and ice cream [it is summer after all here in Australia]. The whole shopping spree was just under $80.

January 2nd was a day off for me. Although the day was spent doing housework, I somehow managed to not only spend nearly $200 in buying software programs via the Internet, but also helped a friend design his website. Yup - just being friendly, except the software was for him!

January 3rd and off to work I went. Don't know why, but I went through my mobile phone book during one of my breaks. Some of my friends are extremely well off, others are comfortable, whilst others are struggling financially. Now don't know why, but I sent the following text message to three of my younger friends who are financially hard up.

"If you had a choice, what would you choose - the envelope or the box"? was the question. Two chose the envelope, one chose the box. $1,200 later and two cheques of $400 were in the post for two of them, and the third had an iPod in the mail!

Now, don't know about you but I am financially okay. However, at this rate, I think I will be dead broke by the time my birthday comes around in March. So I am now praying that this New Year's Day superstition is just that - superstition. On the off chance that it isn't superstition, can someone please please give me a phone number for a Counsellor, because I think I will need all the help I can get.

James



Powered by FeedBlitz

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:56:00 am, Blogger Louis Casinelli said...

A good deed indeed. Or at least well meant. But you got to wonder... For me four hundred dollars would be an amazing thing if I were to say get it from the lottery, but from a a friend, particularly one who appears to be so well off, not sure. I think I would rather have him surprise me somehow. Without the financial/monetary implication. I hate having people spend or give me exhorbitant amounts of money. It makes me feel weird. Maybe it is bexause I grew up poor and now I put more value into things that you can't buy.

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:02:00 pm, Blogger James Bailey said...

I know what you mean by "feel wierd". I would be the same. However the three I helped out are very close friends who have taken it in the gesture it was meant. And to be honest, I haven't done something like this for many years.
In some ways, it is worrying me in how this year is starting :-( Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know .. we'll see how it pans out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home