Saturday, December 30, 2006

Xmas Day Aftermath

Christmas Day was mostly a non-event, like it was last year for my family. Since mum passed away just over 12 months ago, the family social events have been eased up a-bit. Not that we don’t hold them, but they aren’t the same any more.

Anyways. My brother and sister-in-law with my two nieces came over for dinner, and then did the usual opening of the presents. As I watched my nieces [aged 4 and 2] open their presents, and their expressions of excitement over what Uncle James bought them, I realised that as a gay man, this is something most of us will never experience. Watching young children of our own, full of innocence, charm and - yes - greed. I have never seen a 2-year old rip wrapping paper off a present as fast as Maria did.

After the family event, I went over to one of my closest friends’ place and together we headed to the other side of Adelaide to a party being thrown by a younger friend of mine. Simon - my 22 year friend - was out the front to greet us, as was a friend of his. Now, it’s been a while since I met anyone where I could honestly say I was “lost in their eyes”. This guy was utterly gorgeous! Imagine George Michael and this was Simon’s friend, but in his mid 20s.

I had a hard time most of the night avoiding looking at him, but when I did, well . . let’s say I wouldn’t mind knowing him better. And I did notice his sideways glances at me as well. We ended up having a chat during the night, nothing exciting, just the usual banter of two strangers. It’s when I found out he was a hairdresser, that I thought - well, one way to see what he is really like - and if he passes my “second meeting rule”. Now for those that don’t know, my “second meeting rule” is quite simple. If I meet someone for the first time and I think they are cute, I reserve judgement till the second time I meet them. It allows my over-active libido to subside. LOL. If after the second meeting I feel the same, then I make the effort of getting to know them better.

So, today Saturday December 30th, I went in and got my haircut and colour. Yes, he is a hairdresser so my urgently needed haircut has a good excuse to see him a second time.

I walked away with a brilliant haircut and colour, and knowing a bit more about him. I left with the thought that I want to know this guy better, maybe as a friend, hopefully more. I did kick myself though for not giving him my business card when I left. Mind you he has got my mobile number which I gave to the receptionist when I booked my appointment. However he asked what I was doing New Years Eve, and after telling him which pubs I would be at, he said he would try and get out as well [he was planning on going to a friend’s party].

But in one way, I am glad he didn’t get my business card, as it has my website listed and as such would read this blog. And then how embarrassed would I feel :(

Is he interested? Think so but will have to discretely ask Simon. Am I interested? Like HELLO! And if he doesn’t show up on New Years’ Eve, will I be disappointed? Well, maybe. But then, I always expect the unexpected when I go out, and regardless of how the night turns out, it definitely won’t be how I planned it.

But will keep you all posted. In the meantime, I wish you all a very very Happy New Year!

James

[This also appears on my new blog www.jebadel.com]



Powered by FeedBlitz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home